Saturday 7 July 2018

A Soldier's Lament

Richard John Scarr

I'm sorry Mum. There is no grave,
for I lie beneath the sands.
I had to let it happen.
Or have his blood upon my hands.

We came face to face with rifles raised.
But like me, he was just a lad.
How could I take this young boy's life,
and so destroy his Mum and Dad?

We looked into each other's eyes.
And it was though the world stood still.
With finger poised upon the trigger.
But I knew I could not kill.

I saw his face above my sights.
Ashen grey, and filled with fear.
And I wanted to tell him: "Go my friend!
Turn and walk away from here!"

Strange--I didn't hear the shot.
But I lay staring at the sun.
And then I heard his anguished cry:
"Oh God! What have I done?"

And as I slipped away from life,
I felt so guilty, for I knew.
The grief and pain I had saved his folk,
I had inflicted all on you!

The last thing I remember,
before my eyes grew dimmed.
I heard that lad's voice murmur:
"Forgive me Father. For I have sinned!"

No comments:

Post a Comment