Thursday 12 July 2018

Morris the tailor is worried because his wife Hetty is very ill and needs a good doctor. Everyone knows that Dr Myers is the best doctor in Edgware, so Morris rings him to say that he would like him to treat Hetty.

Dr Myers says, “OK, but can you afford me? What if I’m unable to save Hetty and you decide not to pay my bills?”

Morris replies, “I promise to pay you anything, no matter whether you cure Hetty or kill her.” So Dr Myers agrees to treat Hetty. 

Unfortunately, Hetty dies soon after. When Dr Myers invoice arrives, Morris refuses to pay, despite his promise. After much arguing, they agree to take the issue to their Rabbi for a decision.

Dr Myers puts his side of the story to the Rabbi. “He promised to pay me, ‘no matter whether I cured his wife or killed her.’”

After a few minutes deliberation, the Rabbi says, “So did you cure her?” Dr Myers has to reply, “No.”

The Rabbi then asks, “So did you kill her?” “No, I certainly did not,” replied Dr Myers.

“In that case,” says the Rabbi, “Morris owes you nothing – you fulfilled neither of the conditions on which you agreed that your fee should be paid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment